Friday, September 09, 2005

Six year old takes charge!

Good evening to all,
the weekend is finally here,
hope your Friday was a good one.

Here's a story that amazed me today.
Imagine you're a rescue worker, driving down a flooded street, when you turn a corner and are confronted by a very strange sight, six kids of decreasing size and age, walking in a line, holding hands, with a six year old as their leader! Incredible!! It's a true story, and it happened on the streets of New Orleans, the six year old managed to keep his baby brother, his younger cousin, and three other kids from his apartment building safe against all odds in the chaos that was the city.

When the city is rebuilt, (and if the good people I've met from New Orleans are any indicator, it will be, and better than ever) I believe it could be a nice idea for a statue of the six children to be placed in a very prominent place. I can't think of any other scene I've heard of (yet), that fully captures the resilience, and the hopeful resolve of the New Orleans spirit. There will one day come a time when people will want a place to reflect upon these days that have passed, though as terrible as they seem right now, they'll need a monument that reminds them of the hope they carried inside during the dark times, willing themselves to carry on, to make it through to the next day, to endure and survive. Could this be the image that best represents the shared ordeal of the people? I think so, as it would both allow for reflection upon the past, and would show a good example of enduring hope for the future, found in the proud people (of all ages), and the city where they live. Of course, the decision should inevitably come from the people of New Orleans themselves, when the time comes, I'm certain they'll know what's right for them.

Here's a link to the story so you can read it yourself and draw your own conclusion. Let us know what you think of the idea.

**Please Note**
I'm not trying to say it's time to start building monuments just yet, there's still so much to do before that, and I fear that the true extent of the aftermath still has yet to be revealed, it was just an idea that came to me as I read the story, it touched my heart, and I found to be truly amazing. I would still like to know who the initial rescuers were in that helicopter who dropped off the children, and who they were dropped off with, who allowed them to go unattended, they need to be dealt with. I'm glad the story turned out well, with the children enroute to being reunited with their parents.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home