Sunday, September 04, 2005

By what agenda?

Good evening to all,

I recently heard of a blog by an individual named Randall Robinson from the Huffington Post, Mr. Robinson commented that black survivors had resulted to cannibalism to stay alive. Frankly, I don't believe it for a minute, and it turns out my doubts were justified as Mr. Robinson retracted his statements as unsubstantiated. I'm not African-American, but even I was offended by Mr. Robinson's claims, thus lowering the status of the brave but suffering survivors to nothing less than savages. His words do nothing to help anyone. What took me by surprise was that Mr. Robinson claims in his bio to be African-American, but how can he not know that his endorsement of unsubstantiated claims is hurtful, offensive, and quite frankly serving to those who might appreciate public opinion to believe such nonsense? I don't have an answer to any of those questions, nor do I have an answer as to how he could describe the situation as "thousands of blacks dying like dogs." No Mr. Robinson, they are not dying like "dogs", these are people who have survived a horrible ordeal through great individual resolve and will to live, they are dying because help came too late or too slowly. I respect each and every one of them for hanging on as long as they have, and for the vast majority doing all they can to still show the dignity that they all possess. The people deserve so much better than what Mr. Robinson said about them, and deserve so much more than what was done for them when they needed their government to act quickly on their behalf. They were let down at a terrible cost, but never lost their humanity for a moment.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home