Sunday, August 13, 2006

Cease Fire Coming...

Good evening,

Well, by the time I finish typing this, a cease-fire between Israel and Lebanon will have started, but will it last, and what will be the eventual outcome of this fragile peace that is being established? That is anyone's guess, but I would bet that it won't last.

Nope, I'm not one of those fist waving people who chant war, war, war to get my day going, nor am I one of those people who turns the other cheek even after both sides have been struck (though yes, I know I should be in accordance to religion), my beliefs reside somewhere in the middle. I believe in war only as a last resort after all other diplomatic channels have exhausted themselves, I believe in establishing a firm objective once war has been declared, and I believe in keeping the soldier in mind when all decisions are made, rather than just throwing people into the fray with hopes of a good outcome. If my views appear to be filtered through our own war in Iraq, that is no accident, as I have friends and family serving in our nation's military, and I wouldn't trade any of their lives for a water treatment plant, or a purple finger election in that country, I say bring 'em all home, now.

Back to the issue at hand with the cease-fire in the Middle East, I say that the peace is unlikely to hold because of the spin already coming from Arab television and newspaper media. Their take on the cease fire is that Hezbolla will gain respect in the "Arab world" (and I hate that term because afterall we all live in the same world) as many people will have anger directed at Israel for the casualties of the conflict, as well as blaming them for disrupting their lives. The media there is also saying (and I saw this during an MSNBC interview with a reporter from a prominent newspaper in the region) that HEZ is being perceived "as one of the few who faught Israel to a draw". HUH? To a draw? Are there actually people really so in need of feeling empowered that they could call the cease-fire a draw? Well, apparently so. For those of us living in the real world, we know that world opinion called for the cease fire because of the overwhelming decimation of Lebanon. The cease fire was more a case of pity for an outgunned people who really faced a bad situation had the fighting had continued. Though I often try to look on the bright side of things, and not regard the world with a cynical view, that is the reason I don't believe the peace will hold for long, with the combination of what has become a traditional feuding between the two peoples, and the skewed stream of information/propaganda that finds it's way into homes there.

Ok, I know that the average person on the street in Lebanon is most likely just a regular working person, looking to move on with their life, and to live happily, but how can they not somehow manage to take charge of the situation and drive out those militia groups who keep fighting just so a handfull of high ranking militia people can maintain their wishes to retain power and influence? Once peace is solidly established, it's safe to say those very same people will have to lay down their arms and get a real job. Still, the Lebanese people need to ignite and stoke the embers of their own freedom from the oppression of those militia groups who operate like a shadow government within the established country boundaries who already has an elected government. Without a concerted public effort to rid themselves of their own problem, how can they actually expect to ever live in peace? Yep, I said it, the conflict is the result of a few men who wish to retain power at any cost of innocent lives, they really don't want that regular job.

I find it difficult to cast blame onto Israel, even after seeing many of the news stories where Israel was being villified in the latter days of the conflict. One night while watching the news, friend of mine asked "aren't we still friends with Israel?" Actually, she asked a good question, because I sure couldn't see that friendship shown by the nature of many news stories. Yes, war is a terribly ugly thing, and I do believe that anyone with a heart would feel sorry for the innocent Lebanese people caught in the crossfire, but then again I still can't help but ask "how did they not expect something like this to happen when they have an armed group in their country who doesn't make their presence much of a secret, and who calls for the destruction of a military power like neighboring Israel, often launching attacks against them?" All in all, it's just a shame, a terrible shame that brought about equally terrible destruction. I also find it difficult to blame Israel for feeling that their diplomatic channels had exhausted themselves to the point of going to war, when that armed group and their supporters continue to send vested people to target people within Israel's borders, or sends rockets packed with ball-bearings to fall where they may without concern for innocent life. The practice of exercising restraint only works if both sides exercise restraint, otherwise we're back to the difficulty of "turning the other cheek" too many times and being perceived as weak. Even in the day-to-day world of people interacting, someone can only be pushed so many times before the desire to push back comes.

The world in all of it's beauty, does have an element of ugliness in it, as seen in the pictures taken from within the area under siege. Peace in itself is beautiful, as is freedom, but that element of ugliness and hate does have a way of picking at those beautiful ideas, until hate and ugliness is somehow returned in kind. I once read a quote that said "if someone drives you to hate, then they've conquered you", my hope is that the average Israeli or Lebanese doesn't hate all people on the other side of that imaginary border, that one day they can learn to live with each other, and will drive away the ugliness from their midst. I know it's easy for me to say, a world away in the comfort of my home, but isn't it hope that often proves to be the must useful of tools in bridging the gaps between people, and mending the chasms created by adversity? I'd like to think so, for if hate can be born out of something as simple as an idea, so can hope and peace.

Though I don't know any Israeli's nor Lebanese, if I could, I'd like to say "Peace is there, if you truly want it, live and let live, and just do the right thing." (I know, all trite sayings, but appropriate) To the UN, I'd like to say, "Enforce that resolution that called for the disarmament of the trouble making militia group and their supporters. If the people can't do it on their own within their country, give them some help and direction to allow the spark of self-determination to grow." The road to achieving that will be difficult, but worthwhile. (I still would like to believe that the average Lebanese person is just a regular person like us all, and not looking for a fight or the elimination of a whole other group of people)

Hope and reachable alternatives must be established, or the region will find itself once again caught in a perpetual cycle of violence then peace. Though my opening comment seemed pessimistic, I really do hope the cease fire will hold.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home