Sunday, January 08, 2006

Ariel Sharon

Good afternoon,
hope your day is going well.

One thing that has captured my attention lately, is the condition of Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon, after suffering two strokes, heart surgery, and a myriad of other complications. Now, I don't pretend to know much about the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, as information about the situation tends to vary upon who is giving it, mostly along party lines here in the USA, and along other cultural, and religious beliefs in other places. I don't know what Sharon has contributed historically to his side of the cause, but I do know a little about waking up after surgery, that's why this blog entry will be mostly about my wishing him well in his recovery.

Though I rarely give particulars about myself online, because quite frankly I wonder who actually wants to know about me when there's so much going on in the world, but for sake of reference I guess it wouldn't hurt to tell one of my stories. It happened a few years ago, when I was involved in a very bad car accident. I was in a vehicle that was struck by a drunk driver, where I went through the windshield, ending up partly still inside the car, partly on the hood of the car. I went to two hospitals, one where a particularly bad surgical intern told me "stay away from mirrors", when I asked him how I looked and how bad it was (my family got me the heck out of there), and the other where a smiling asian surgeon actually got out of bed to come to the hospital, telling me "you don't worry, everything is going to be alright, you'll be good as new". I went through surgery to repair the cuts to my face, and even my tongue, waking up after three days of being asleep. Nope, no dreams or anything during that time, just a reluctant waking to the pain, though it was music being played by my family that brought me back, I still remember hearing it almost like it was playing far in the distance. I didn't want to see anyone during my recovery, for fear of how I might look with the stitches and all, plus I would spend hours at a time re-teaching myself to say the "S" sound. The injury to my tongue left me saying something that sounded alot like "eth", I was sure determined not to be lispy, and it was tough but it all finally worked out, I speak normally and the stitches healed with little sign of any injury to my face, the doctor had kept his word, and all was good as new. I still say a prayer each night for that doctor who helped me, he was the voice of reason during what was a particularly dark time in my life, and gave me hope.

I don't for a second attempt to make presumptions in comparing my injuries to that which is afflicting the prime minister, his situation is far more serious than anything I've ever encountered or can imagine. It's just that I heard his doctors have decided to bring him out of his medically induced coma, wherein his pain is sure to begin, along with his discovery that things such as speech might not work as they did before. It's going to be a tough time for him, but if he has faith both in himself and in what he most strongly believes, he can make it through. I was thinking about all of this when I heard all the news reports about his condition, the numerous surgical procedures he was going through, and even some of the uncompassionate words being said about it all. I was offended, not only as a person who has a belief in God, but as a person of the world, by the ignorant comments made by televangelist Pat Robertson, who suggested that it was God who delivered the stroke and grave circumstances to Mr. Sharon. Flashbacks of that crummy doctor came back, and it was as if I could almost see his face again, as he laughed after he said what he said. Yes, it's true, he actually laughed, there are truly bad doctors out there. To those who go out of their way to be heartless in regards to the suffering of others, I believe by law of averages in occurrence it's likely they'll one day experience the same. We've all seen some sort of poetic justice that happens from time to time to teach someone a lesson, so by all odds perhaps it's possible, though I sure wouldn't wish that upon anyone, even the worst of them all. It is beyond my understanding how someone can live with the fact that they've shown such behavior, I guess it's because I know in my heart that if it were me being cruel, the guilt would eat at me slowly through all my years. I don't think I could do it. Maybe as a precaution, I'm writing this here today so that sometime in the future if the circumstances of life serve to harden my heart, I might be able to come back here to read how I was, and felt about the matter, one day in January of 2006. If only Pat Robertson had taken the time to write how he felt before the money and power, or whatever affliction has taken over his way of thinking, he too might be able to remember and have a way back.

All I can say is I wish the best for the prime minister, and for anyone out there who might be suffering, I don't believe nor will I ever believe that God did that to them, and I'll hope they make it through their toughest of times. It's moments like those that sometimes teach us the most about ourselves, and give us some of the most lasting of life's lessons. To make it through, means to come to terms with our own individual limitations, or to recognize our greatest of possibilities, all it takes is time and force of will..... and of course a little faith in whatever the person believes worthy of putting their faith in, it all helps. My hope is that Mr. Sharon has the time to make those discoveries, and to live longer for the sake of his family and those in his country who love and respect him. May his recovery be without too much discomfort, and may the people of Israel and the world know that all people from America don't share the same views as some of our most vocal crazy people who make headlines with their bad behavior, dim-wit, and ill manner. God speed, and best wishes, always.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home