Wednesday, July 20, 2005

James "Scotty" Doohan

Good afternoon to all,
hope your day has been a good one !

Today, James "Scotty" Doohan passed away at age 85, made famous by the role that typecast him as Engineer Scott on the legendary show Star Trek. To me, it's the passing of one of those people who have been around for all of your life, as I remember watching the Star Trek re-runs when I was a young kid, and actually watched the show late one night, not long ago. Before ya ask, no I'm not a trekkie, though I do respect the show for how it could spark the imagination in a way that only good science fiction can. Jules Verne, H.G. Welles, and Arthur C. Clarke all wrote of things that people once believed to be impossibly fantastic, only to spark the imaginations of some really intelligent people out there and find their ideas one day made real. I can only imagine what ideas were sparked by the Star Trek series. Mr. Doohan brought a likeable quality to the Scotty character on the show, and lived a truly incredible life, may he rest in peace knowing he made people smile, and won't be forgotten.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home