Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Bush: Anti-war = Treason

Good morning,

Just moments ago, I heard something that I thought was just crazy, It seems President Bush (aka. "Finger Man" as he loves to "whoop out" that middle finger more than Eminem on a bad day) seems to consider anyone who is against the war in Iraq to be flirting with treason. His latest warning to the dissenting voice of Democrats and people against the war, saying "to watch what they say or risk giving comfort to our adversaries". Take a look at Article III, Section 3 of our Constitution:

Section 3:

Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying war against them, or in adhering to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort. No person shall be convicted of treason unless on the testimony of two witnesses to the same overt act, or on confession in open court.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not in favor of anyone giving comfort to any enemy of this great nation of ours, nor am I in favor of seeing demonstrators flying the flag of a country we're at war with, wearing costumes, painting their faces like they're on their way to a football game, and those who go limp at the slightest touch of a law enforcement official, being carted off with a silly grin on their face. That sort of thing drives me crazy as I can't believe the direction some people will take a protest. Can't they see how average everyday people, who might also be against the war, see them on the evening news and think them to be a buncha kooks? Their message becomes lost in the show for attention. Still, as a person with a deep love for this, my country, I believe in the right for people to peacefully protest, even if I don't believe in their method of going about it. According to the First Amendment of the Constitution, it seems the founding fathers also believed in such a right:

First Amendment to the Constitution:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press, or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

I don't really know what to think about "Bush's warning", the wording was just too vague to know who he was actually intending to warn, but if someone is doing something to support the cause of the insurgency in Iraq, or any enemy of this country then I can see his point, and those people deserve a good warning and much more, but if his comments were addressed to everyone, just average citizens out there who are expressing feelings against the war in Iraq, asking questions or making statements about how they feel, or if those comments were addressed to members of another political party who are making his agenda difficult, then I can't possibly see the constitutional soundness of him making that statement warning the people to watch what they say.

In a country as big as ours, we don't always agree with one another, but it is our guaranteed freedom of speech that serves to keep channels of communication open, allowing us to air our differences. Such discourse allows for positive change within our country, shaping itself to the times in which we live. Removal of the right to free speech can only mean a singular voice will be most widely heard, but will we like what it is saying? I heard a quote where someone once said "the things we miss most, are the things we took most for granted", and I think they were right. Will the right of the people to disagree with our elected officials, be one of those things we took for granted until it was one day gone, or so watered down that our opinions no longer matter? I certainly hope not.

Just to make things clear, my views are that of a person who has family members and friends serving in Iraq. I believe it is possible to support the troops and have questions about the war at the same time. My only wish is for them to all come home safely and soon. That's the reason behind the things I say, I worry about my family members and friends, and can understand the concerns of so many other families out there who I have not met.

NO "comforting" goin on here.

1 Comments:

At Saturday, January 14, 2006 2:31:00 PM, Blogger OOB said...

GC , I understand your concern. I have freinds over there too. I don't think Mr. Bush's comments were aimed at private citizens voicing opinions. His comments were aimed directly at the democrat leadership and the press who have made a multitude of public statements in support of our enemies and purposely aimed at demoralizing our troops. Every one has the right to voice an opinion but they do not have the right to tell my soldier freinds that they publicly support our enemies. It kind of reminds me of people spitting on vets returning home in 1968. I will stop short of agreeing they should be charged with treason though. Maybe a one on one conference could be arranged between some of these guys with returning vets from Iraq in a small room with one door and no windows.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home