Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Coretta Scott King

Good morning to all,

Our nation once again bids farewell to one of it's civil rights icons, first Rosa Parks, now Coretta Scott King, who passed away Tuesday. It was Mrs. King who picked up the reins of the civil rights movement of the 1960's, following the death of her husband, the late Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Her contribution to our nation and society at large is greatly appreciated, she will be missed, and should be regarded as a true American hero by people of all ethnicities. She moved mountains with her words.

Though I'm not African-American, I regard Coretta Scott King, and her husband Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. to have been heroically wonderful teachers, and eloquent speakers with their message of peaceful resistance to unfair norms within our society. The lesson for me, that sprang from the pages of the history books where their words were printed, and from the archived news footage of them speaking to a crowd, was that one person can truly make a difference in the world, that an idea cannot be as easily silenced as the man or woman who thought it, that hope is as infectious as dispair or fear can be, that good can truly triumph over the bad of the world. I thank them for passing along that message to me, it is something that I pray I will carry with me throughout my entire life.

Rest well Mrs. King, such a beautiful lady, my hope is that you knew your words touched not only those within the African-American community, but others out here in the world as well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home